Sunday, July 15, 2007

Landscaping Progress

This weekend I have added a bit more to the landscape project that I started to do last week. I originally was just going to purchase more retaining wall bricks to raise the height of the wall and to extend it back a few feet along the side of the house. However, when I was at the Depot, I started getting ideas on what flowers, trees, & shrubs would work well in this new area. After returning home with the supplement of bricks, I fastened the wall how I liked it and asked tracy if she would like to accompany me back to the store to pick up some flowers and plants. I did not want to keep procrastinating with each step of this project (something I do very often).
Tracy the boys and I returned to home depot. (in two cars). One for her and the boys, one for me and the flowers/plants we would soon purchase. We didn't spend too much time searching as I had a good idea of what I wanted from my previous trip this morning. Tracy had a few great ideas for different kinds of plants that I had not even considered....good thing I brought them along! :-)
We returned home and I went to work, clearing the area...since I knew I wanted to extend the small rock-bed along the front of this area, I figured, what the heck, let me take a drive to the local rock quarry (place I purchased other rocks from) see if they are open on sunday and pick up a few bags of rocks. Since I knew exactly the kind I needed, (1-2" mixed mexican river bed rocks) I knew it would be a quick trip if they were in fact open.
They were open, i purchased the rocks and returned home....once again. I cleared the area for the rocks, removed most of the mulch, and started planting our new palm plants, birds of paradise, lantanas and something that I think are called grass plants. That was all for this time. I was short one bag of rocks and a few border pieces. I'll handle that in the next step. The next phase will be adding plants & flowers to the area behind retaining wall. We're thinking bougainvillea, maybe jasmine, and some creeping/hanging plants for the ledge under the window. Check out pics to see the progress so far.

previous post about project is here

No comments:

Post a Comment