Monday, July 16, 2007

"the green book"

A couple of months ago I was watching an Oprah Winfrey show...there was a whole week of shows dedicated to helping the environment, what you can do to help save the environment, and one show in particular had the authors of "the green book." At the time the book wasn't released yet and just a few weeks ago I went out and purchased one figuring let me see how I can start living green. Much to my surprise Kevin and I were already living green! We were already buying organic and eating soy based products, using CFL's, had our thermostat set higher, we don't run the water while brushing our teeth, recycling, and the list goes on. There are so many eye openers in this book...easy things that we can be doing too....using cloth napkins (I have loads of them!), asking for paper rather than plastic at the grocery store (besides when you re-use them you get a 10 cent credit on your next bill), shortening our showers (I'm working on this one), keeping the microwave cleaner, and unplugging appliances and/or cell phone chargers when they're not in use.

I know you're all reading this thinking how crazy it all sounds and some of you have even told me to be "realistic" and that I was "naive" to think that by just me living green would make a difference. Well, you know what, call me naive, call me crazy, ... I look at it as being optimistic...every little bit helps. In 20 years my kids will thank me and in another 20 years my grandkids will thank me. So please no pessimistic remarks...that's not how I live my life.

Living green really does make my heart smile.

3 comments:

  1. I think it is being "realistic" to know that something, no matter how small, needs to be done. We too have done some things like using CFLs and composting and recycling, but probably need to do more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to order that book today. I have been trying to do things greener for a few months now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd get into all of the things that I do from an engineering standpoint do to make the world greener and how I have my LEED Accreditation ...but yea, you would all get bored and stick pencils in your eyes...but every little bit does help.

    ReplyDelete