Tuesday, April 8, 2008

BROILER PART II

Well thank you for all your broiler comments. Now let me explain or rather let me tell you my funny story.

My parents had an oven where the broiler was a separate drawer at the bottom. My first apartment and everywhere that I've lived also had an oven where the broiler was at the bottom. Kevin and I moved into our current house 4 years ago this June. I distinctly remember (and so does Kevin) once needing to broil something in those 4 years. The one time we broiled..we broiled salmon. I remember turning the broiler on, putting the salmon into the "separate drawer at the bottom" and then setting the timer for the amount indicated on the salmon recipe. I remember when the timer went off the salmon was BARELY cooked..so we cooked it longer and it took what seemed forever to cook the salmon. Anyway, we ate the salmon that night. Ok so 4 years later I come across my recipe for sun dried tomatoes & arugula tartines...which yes, you guessed right...calls for the BROILER! well, my tartines go in the broiler..you know the "separate drawer at the bottom".....and in 3 minutes the cheese on top should have melted. I go to check and no melting...I was perplexed...HUH? What is going on? I wait another 5 minutes...still no melted cheese on my tartines! HHMMMMPH! Now I'm on my knees looking into the broiler and then I see something through the oven door. It's the freakin' burner at the top of the oven chamber! HOW DUMB! Who knew?!?!? Apparently not me! Like Lauren, I thought all ovens had a broiler at the bottom. My pondering thought (ah-ha pondering thought line taken from someone else's blog LOL) is why don't they get rid of the drawer at the bottom and make my oven bigger if the broiler & oven are all in one place?!?!?!?!

4 comments:

  1. I had a feeling that that was where you were going with your question. (You do know that I won't let it go and will kid you at some future date LOL) But after commenting on your last post I too began thinking about why put the drawer on the bottom if it is not a broiler. Well, if there wasn't a drawer the bottom of the oven would almost be on the floor, which is a bit too low I would think. And why would you need a bigger oven unless you are roasting a humongous turkey? But the best reason is that you would lose storage space in your kitchen if there wasn't a drawer.

    What are tartines?

    Thank you for giving me credit for the "pondering". LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so before we had the boys i would host thanksgiving here in LA .... each year the turkey was minimum 18 lbs along with all the other sides & bread, etc, etc, etc. My oven was too small...that's the only reason i wish my oven was bigger...for turkey purposes. and now being vegetarian thanksgiving is the only time i will allow myself to eat meat...i mean turkey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ya know...these problems don't happen when you make reservations! :>)

    ReplyDelete