Friday, November 30, 2007

Butternut Lasagna

This is the BEST recipe. I got it out of "The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook." Anywhoo, I thought I would share it with the blogging world..

Butternut Lasagna

9 to 11 lasagna noodles, preferably whole grain (I used regular lasagna noodles)
1/2 onion, minced
2 tsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
8 cups chopped kale, chard, or other dark green leafy vegetable (I used kale)
3/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (I used walnuts)
1/2 cup boiling water

tofu filling:

1 1/2 pounds firm or silken tofu (I used organic silken)
2 eggs or 2 tbsp olive oil (I used olive oil because I'm trying to limit my dairy)
2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp black pepper

sauce:

3 cups mashed cooked butternut squash
3/4 cup milk (I used soymilk)
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tbsp miso
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg

Preheat oven to 375. Saute onion in olive oil until soft. Stir in garlic & greens. If greens are dry, add a little water. Cover & steam for 5 minutes or until soft. Set aside.

Place tofu filling ingredients in food processor or blender. Puree until smooth. Remove to bowl and set aside. Place sauce ingredients in food processor or blender. Puree until smooth.

Assemble lasagna as follows: Cover bottom of 9 x 13 inch pan with thin layer of sauce. Place a single layer of lasagna noodles in bottom of pan. Leave a little space between the noodles because they will expand when cooked. Spread 1/2 of the tofu filling over noodles. Sprinkle 1/2 of the cooked greens over tofu. Spread 1/3 of the butternut sauce over the greens. Repeat for one more layer. Place noodle layer on top & cover with butternut sauce. Sprinkle chopped nuts evenly over top. Pour boiling water in corners & around edges of lasagna. Cover pan with foil and bake for 35 minutes. Remove cover and bake for 10 minutes more. Allow to stand 5 to 10 minutes before serving.

THIS IS VERY YUMMY!!! If you looked at the recent pix of the boys you will see pix of the first time I cooked this butternut lasagna. It was gone within a day of me cooking it - it was that good!!!

Happy cooking!!!

8 comments:

  1. Tracy, your recipe looks great. I/we love squash and there's a restaurant in the city that makes an acorn squash ravioli to die for. I've not used tofu before but I may try it on your recommendation. What about spinach instead of kale?

    aunt Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think spinach would be good too but keep in mind that kale has a sweeter taste in the winter season and it's packed with WAY more nutrients.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After seeing the pics of the lasagna Mom was going to have me email you for the recipe. Now that you have put it on the blog and I see that it exceeds my five ingredient limit I am not sure if I will make it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. may be a stupid question but is miso in the asian section?

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes you can find miso in the asian/international section. i bought it in the cold section by the tofu in whole foods. BUT you can also buy miso dry in they dry aisle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 5 ingredient limit? COME ON!

    ReplyDelete
  7. by the way, i'm anonymous...i forgot to sign in when i answered you lauren..
    LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the insight. We grow kale in the garden in summer, but. . .it's not summer. I'll have to look to see if our market has it.

    ReplyDelete